Sunday 2 September 2007

More animals from Origami Made Easy




Here are three more animals from Kunihiko Kasahara's book, Origami Made Easy. All were folded using 15cm Muji kami paper. The fox was folded from a single sheet, whilst Nessie and the Giant Panda used two sheets each. I'm still paddling in the shallows here, but at least I now know (thanks to some advice from my photographer wife) about putting some draping material behind the figures! I also know to use ambient light and a tripod, rather than flash, since flash tends to wash out detail. Only a few more figures left to try in Origami Made Easy, and then I'll be moving on to Kasahara's Origami Omnibus, which I believe includes a few more intermediate-level figures. Hope my fingers are up to it! Incidentally, one small improvement in my folding technique this time, came from an Origami FAQ I found via Google, which made me realise I'd been concentrating on moving points to points, rather than focussing on the crease line itself. This small adjustment in emphasis does seem to have improved my accuracy a bit. The same FAQ also recommended only sharpening creases when you reach a "resting point", rather than at each intermediate step in a folding diagram. My lack of confidence as a folder (from inexperience) still makes me want to "nail" each step in a diagram before moving to the next, to the point where I'm nearly wearing down the back of my left thumbnail, but I'm trying to resist the temptation to make every crease knife-sharp before moving to the next sub-step! Anyway, I hope you enjoy the pictures!

No comments: